Monday, May 4, 2009

Pursuing art therapy?

I'm a third year college student finishing up for my B.A. in psychology and social behavior. As the time nears for me to decide what exactly I want to do with my degree, I've been looking into many different fields of psychology. I am particularily interested in the field of art and music therapy (more so art).





I've been searching, maybe not hard enough, but I'm having a hard time finding out recommended courses I can take as an undergrad to succeed at an AATA accredited grad school program for art therapy. I was thinking that I should take up art as a minor, but what field of art? Currently, my school offers degrees in: art history, arts and humanities, fine arts, and studio art.





What I would ultimately like to do is specialize in family, marriage or sex therapy with an additional certification in art therapy. I'd also like to end up teaching. Perhaps part time at a city college or so.





I'd really appreciate any info anybody can provide me with. Thanks in advance!!!

Pursuing art therapy?
Unless you decide to teach, art or music therapy won't do much for you once you are out of school. While you are searching the internet, why don't you look for jobs to see how many are looking for someone with this type of education? Not a high demand degree.
Reply:Hi, Actually there is a high demand for this job. I am thinking of doing it myself. You need 18 hours of studio art (undergrad) and 12 hours of psychology (undergrad) in order to get into art therapy grad school. Go to the AATA website American Art Therapy Association website and see all of the details. Also, there are a list of approved schools to go to listed on the site as well. There should also be an art therapy association in your state which would let you do an internship or observe sessions to make sure this is what you want to do. I hope this helps you out!!!!! I am excited about this job myself. There are lots of jobs in studio's. hospitals, mental health centers and you can have a private practice too if you want.





Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment