Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Avant Garde in the art world too far?

I notice a disturbing trend in the art world. Artist rendering images of rape coupled with murder and calling it "adult art". Does something have to be extremly distasteful to make people see it as adult? Are violent and sexaul images no longer enough to entice on their own merits so they have to be combinded to get a reaction from a dissensitized audience? I know I shouldn't judge art and I'm not saying I don't have illustrations that are a bit risque myself yet I get a sick feeling at in my stomach when looking at stuff from this new "exxxtreme" movement in art that is all the rage. Apparently I'm in the minority because everyone else encourages the creation of such illustrations. Now of course you can argue my point saying "It's just art no real people are being hurt." or "If you can't take it stay outta the kitchen!" but as art does reflect its creator at least somewhat and it can actually encourage more impressionable adult minds I still believe it is an important issue.

Avant Garde in the art world too far?
I see this kind of thing as more reflective of the world in which we live, a world where we are more aware of the darker side of life, and less likely to paint reality with a romantic brush. Distasteful? Perhaps, but it's here, and it's reflective of reality. With time, this "movement" will wither, and something else will take it's place. It may be something more, or less, tasteful. Audience reaction will be the final arbiter.


No comments:

Post a Comment