Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm really upset about my art class.?

I try really hard in my art class to apply what I envision onto my work and to try and get it into art shows because I want to go to college for art and design, and I want people to experience what I experienced while creating my artwork, and art is one of my biggest passions.





I have yet to get my work into an art show, and yet to even get a compliment from my art teacher. (I am in 10th grade)


When she walks around the room, she'll give other compliments and tips for "advancing" (in her words, but in my mind, it's changing) their artwork, she passes me up, or completely disses my work.


If I ask her a question about something, she will basically tell me what to change and how to change it, and then tells me all of this other stuff I have to change on my art, when I never wanted to change it in the first place, I just ask if she sees what it is supposed to be. It's rather embarassing too, especially when we do class critiques of our art, and she insults my work, when saying good

I'm really upset about my art class.?
Art can be a very personal thing, and for you it is. Some of the most influential artists and thinkers of all time were misunderstood in their time, so don't let one teacher discourage you. Keep creating things that you think are meaningful and expanding your boundaries.





That said, you need to ask yourself what you hope to get out of this class and any art class you take. Art is something that is different from person to person, but exposing yourself to the way that other people do things is not detrimental. Experimentation without losing sight of yourself is what you need to expand. You don't have to make every piece your masterpiece. Try out some of the things your art teacher is asking you to do, and see what happens. Play around with it. Don't listen to the critiques but instead expand yourself with the ideas. If they have a project where they want you to do one thing, then try it out. Otherwise, why are you really taking the class? Artists need to know a lot of different techniques to communicate and you're only going to be better off for having tried these different things. If you don't like them, that's fine.





Art teachers in my experience can often be narrow minded. I actually had one instructor who would take up the brush and make changes to my artwork while I was doing it as she tried to illustrate a point. I've had mixed feelings about it. If you feel like the work you are doing in class is experimental and for the purpose of expanding your horizons, though, then this sort of thing is okay. Something you do in a class doesn't define you, though.





Lastly, realize that most artists who make their living doing art have to face the problems you are talking about every day. They usually don't own their art. Where I work, I design and I have artists who have to do things often to specifications. They also have to keep their work similar to other people's work because its a large collaberative project. This has its own rewards and shortcomings, but you'll find most people who are professional artists do their own projects their way on the side, but know how to fit in when they are working for someone else. It's a good thing to learn.

Dental Insurance

No comments:

Post a Comment