Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Is nudity in art more offensive in America than in Europe?

As a european I wonder if nudity in fine arts is viewed differently in America. Showing my online art gallery to europeans gives another reaction than showing it to americans. My gallery is about nude art, only fine arts(www.thefinestnudeart.com). In Europe it seems like nudity in art is ok to display to children, but in America people have another way of seeing it. Am I wrong? And if not, why is it like that?





Yours sincerely


Rune Thomassen


Owner of www.thefinestnudeart.com

Is nudity in art more offensive in America than in Europe?
In a word: yes. Most Americans have a hard time distinguishing between nudity and sexuality, due largely to our puritanical origins and our salacious media.
Reply:I guess so. I just read a letter from a Tuscan TV, they complained an educational video they released on YouTube was tagged as "inappropriate". It was about Michelangelo's David.


No comments:

Post a Comment