Friday, April 16, 2010

UCLA Art Portfolio...?

I'm a romanian junior high school student and I'm bent on attending UCLA School of Art and Architecture. I've started to build my portfolio but they request only 5 pieces of artwork. It's pretty hard to narrow it down to only a few pieces...





My question is this: since different art schools look for different things in students' portfolios, what is UCLA's aim?


Do they prefer to see personal art or obsevational drawing? Are they interested in discovering the personality of the artist or just the skill/technique? Is illustration or concept important?





For instance: will a portrait count more than an image of a group of teenagers skateboarding? They would both be from real life, but what about the concept? I'm a fan of traditional drawing and painting. What is UCLA's preferance in art (are they liberal and creative or less flexible?)... What's they're style?





If anyone here is a student over there, could you tell me what kind of work got you into UCLA? Thanks.

UCLA Art Portfolio...?
Well, I work at a different Art School but somebody needs to answer your question.





They will be looking for a range of work - so let each piece be as different as possible.


They won't be so interested in technique since that's what they'll be teaching: so show your interests (for example, the skateboarding image sounds great).


And -- really, different art schools don't look for different things; it's pretty much boils down to: skill, technique, craft and talent.





luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment