Monday, November 16, 2009

Art therapy?

i really want a career in art. i was planning on majoring in art in college, but now i'm thinking about minoring in art therapy aswell.





what are the requirements to be in the field of art therapy?

Art therapy?
To gain a degree in AT and work as an art therapist, you will need to have your Masters degree. I minored in art and majored in psychology before going for my masters in art therapy. There are undergrad programs for art therapy, but I don't know anyone that is working with that degree. There is a credentialing requirements so you become licensed and official. There is a website that can answer a lot of questions about this process at www.atcb.org and www.arttherapy.org


I went to a school that was accredited. I don't know that it ultimately affected getting a job, but it followed the requirements needed to apply for the art therapy license (credential).


Some masters programs are more studio/art based and others more clinical. In undergrad, you will likely know which side of if you like better and will help you decide what programs fit you best.


There are art therapy events, magazines, and books that you can study up. That's what I did before I invested all that time and money in more schooling.


It's a fun and exciting career. Best of luck and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment