Friday, November 13, 2009

Art major?

I hate my major, which is in leisure, youth and human services. I was originally a sociology major, but got bored with all the research/stats crap. I'm only 2 weeks into my new major and already dislike it. I wanted to go into something art related because I've always secretly loved art, but I couldn't tell that to the lady helping me plan my classes because my mom was sitting right there. I just know that if I were to be like "I want to be an art major" my mom would throw a fit and not be supportive because "you'll never get a job with that" Plus, if I were to become an art major, I'd basically be a few years behind on my classes, because I've only taken one art class in college (schedule was too full of other classes for my old major) What should I do? I know I'm probably being ridiculous and should just stay with the major I have, but it doesn't feel right at all.

Art major?
I will tell you what I told my daughter. Do what you love, and the job will come. She kept trying to stick with a major where she could "get a job", when her true love is English. Thank heavens she finally realized it and switched her major. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole and if you keep trying to, you will just wind up hating whatever it is you are trying to do. If you love art, do it. There are lots of jobs that are art related. Art is not just one thing-there are many, many different types of art fields. Don't do something that doesn't feel right, even if it takes you longer. You will always regret it. Follow your heart and you won't be sorry.
Reply:You need to pick something you like. While an art degree provides limited job opportunities, if it is what you want, go for it. The art world is a difficult place to find a job but you could always teach on the side while you still hunt for that perfect job.


No comments:

Post a Comment