Monday, November 16, 2009

Art School or University?

I'm a junior in highschool. The following are some of my stats:


5 Academic AP's (Gov't, US History, English Language, Latin, Calculus AB) %26amp; AP Art Portfolio


4.1 Unweighted GPA





I am at a complete loss of where I should apply for college. I love learning especially the histories and humanities. I have done quite well so far in high school and am at the top of my class in terms of ranking. I'm really involved in STAND (Darfur) and a member of the Diversity Committee at my school. Diversity and awareness for world causes has been a huge part of my high school years. My problem is: I love art. Absolutely love it. I know for a fact that I want to go into Fashion Design for a career, preferably in New York. I have recently started working more on Art. I have no idea, however, if I should be applying to an Art School or University. I have the potential to get into a really good University, where I can learn a wide range of things. But by putting off art, would it hurt me in the future?

Art School or University?
One word: Yale. It has the best art school, art museums and undergraduate education in the United States (of course, others will argue the last point). In addition, it is a reasonable train ride to New York City. The kicker is that it is extremely difficult to get in, but with your credentials, it's worth applying.
Reply:Just because you are going to a university, doesn't mean you will be putting off art. Almost every major university has a good art program, along with the credibility of being a good, multi-academic university. You say you want to go into fashion design, but it is an extremely difficult business to get into. Work towards your dreams, but make sure you have a good backup plan, especially since you have worked so hard in high school. Getting a degree in design along with some business courses would give you an excellent foundation and something to fall back on. Try NYU if you want a good school and a start in New York.


No comments:

Post a Comment