Thursday, November 19, 2009

Which art school is better - Art institute of CA San francisco or Academy of Art University?

I am transferring from a community college soon and I need help. I've basically narrowed it down to two schools: The art institute of san francisco and the academy of art university. I have read the each of the sites thoroughly and I am still stuck as to where to go. I have also had an interview with the art institute so I pretty much have an idea of what they are all about. However, I just want to be sure that I don't make a mistake I will regret. I think both schools are great but I just need help in deciding. I wanna know from first hand experience. So PLEASE!!!! can someone shed some light on these schools!

Which art school is better - Art institute of CA San francisco or Academy of Art University?
I go to the Academy of Arts Univ (AAU) and will graduate from there next spring. I can't really tell you about the Art Institute, but I can tell you about AAU.





I'm getting a degree in computer animation and I absolutely love it. I started out commuting to the campus and after a couple semesters, have switched completely to online classes because I work full time. The campus is spread out through S.F. Most of the campus and the administration building is on New Montgomery St. The computer labs are there as well as the administration offices, but some of the other department's buildings are in different spots. The campus has a busing system, so you can take a free bus if your classes are spreadout in the city.





One thing that they do at AAU that I don't know if the Art Institute does, is they require every major to take some basic "foundations" classes in art. So you will have to several drawing classes regardless of your major. The idea behind this is they want every graduate to have a foundation in the principles of art and they use that to help sell graduates to potential employers. If you don't think you can draw, though, don't be nervous. They have great teachers and I've seen some of the worst artists on the first day of class and watched them produce some great looking stuff on the last day of the semester.





AAU has open enrollment, so you don't need to submit a portfolio to get in. The thing I like about that is you will get a broad mix of people. Some people are book smart, but aren't the best artists, while some people are genuinely talented artists but aren't very booksmart.





The teachers are great, but they are demanding. The school really works hard to impress the importants of deadlines on students. I've had some really laid back teachers who will let you submit late work and I've had some teachers who won't accept late stuff at all, but they really drill into that you need to get your work in on time. Another thing they teach the students is how to give critiques and to critique other people's work.





The thing that most impressed me with AAU and ultimately made the decision for me to attend was that when I started showing an interest in the school and asked for information, they actually pursued me. They actually had a financial aid officer call me and ask me how he could help.





Another thing I really like about the school is they are constantly adding new classes and they will change your degree course depending on the technology available. Since I'm in computer animation, they are adding a ton of new classes and will change my curriculum if it's for the better.





I really recommend you call AAU and get set up for a tour. This is the perfect time right now because we're about to have the Spring Show, which is a showcase of all the best students' work from this school year. My first tour with AAU was during the Spring Show and I was really intimidated by the great work people were putting out, but after attending the school, I actually have some good pieces myself.





Feel free to email me if you have more questions.
Reply:Art Institute!


No comments:

Post a Comment